Sunday, December 2, 2007

And the score is...

Snow Storm: 1
Minivan: 0

In the first good snowstorm of the year last night, I managed to spin the van out on the freeway. Mia and I were the only two in the van, and we're just fine. We do not, however, know the full extent of damage to the van, and probably won't for a few days at least. I honestly don't know what happened. It had been snowing almost all day, and there were about four inches on the ground before I hit the road at 4:00. When I left, it wasn't really snow, it was a blowing ice coming down...like little BB pellets. They hurt too. You couldn't really see the lane lines, so people were sort of driving all over, although thankfully, everyone was going fairly slowly...my speedometer didn't pass 30 the whole way home. I only saw one person spun out, and was thinking that was pretty good for as covered as the roads were..the plows hadn't been through yet.

About 20 minutes later, we were driving along fine, and the next thing I know, I'm spinning. I spun completely around and the rear passenger corner of the van hit the median. Thank God, no one behind me hit us, or got into an accident themselves. I called 911 and they said they'd get someone out to help me get turned around. I then called Joe, and wasn't on the phone with him for 30 seconds, when a sheriff's deputy pulled up. The deputy was very nice, and said they were quite busy that night with so many people sliding out. On the remainder of my way home, I saw two other vehicles on the side or in the ditch. One SUV was a good 20 feet off the road in a grassy area...can't really figure how he made it that far off the road, unless he was going really fast.

As for damage, the bumper on that side is smooshed in and scratched up, and the rear door is not sitting right in the frame. I haven't tried to open the rear door for fear that it won't shut again, but we'll be trying that this morning. We'll have to get it in to determine how much is screwed up, and with the holidays fast approaching, keep your fingers crossed that it isn't too bad.

On to family news: well, there isn't really anything new to report. The kids are all doing fine, and are really excited about the snow, and Santa's impending visit.

The neighbors are still jerks, but haven't threatened anyone lately. As I write this, Joe and I are taking glee in the fact that his snowblower just broke and he's having to shovel the drive the old-fashioned way...is that wrong? ;o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. Let me know if you need anything. I'm only a hop & a skip away (which is much better than being a hop, skip, and jump away).